Athlete Of The Month
Athlete of the month: June
Jordan has been a member of BeachSide since January 2016!!! Between working and going to school full time she still makes her fitness a priority. She is a staple in our noon class and we love her positive and encouraging attitude. It’s been awesome to watch all her hard work pay off in the gym. This is one amazing and strong woman and we’re so happy to have her as part of the BeachSide Family!!!
1.Tell us about yourself:
I am a Ventura native. Turning 27 this year. My little brother is my best friend. I love good food, good beer, and good dogs… just kidding, I love all dogs.
2.What do you do for a job?
As you may know, I am part of the rowdy CMS lunch bunch. I currently work part-time drawing final mortgage loan documents. I feel that having my co-workers double as members of the gym community has definitely been a key to my consistency at the gym. It is hard to skip the gym when you have 8 or 9 awesome people keeping you accountable.
3. Tell us something people might not know about you:
Along with working part-time I am going to school full-time at CSUCI to become a middle school teacher. Math and science are my preferred subjects. I can’t wait to get students as pumped about learning as I am.
4. What brought you to CrossFit in the first place?
Marty Smith.. When Marty joined years ago, the way he talked about Beachside made it sound amazing. I was very interested then. He even brought Nate into our office and I remember talking to him about Crossfit, but at the time I was getting ready to move to upstate New York so it just wasn’t an appropriate time for me to start. Upon moving back to Ventura, one of the first things I wanted to do (besides getting a job) was to finally try Crossfit at none other than Beachside.
5. What was your first impression? How has that changed?
I knew that Crossfit was going to be intense, but I think when I first started I imagined I would pick up on the movements easily and progress quickly… I have learned that is not the case. It takes a lot of time, hard work, and patience to build strength and learn technique in this sport. From heavy lifts to gymnastic movements, there is a new challenge everyday. It wouldn’t be nearly as fun and addicting if it all came easy.
6. What was your first “bright spot”?
I would have to say it was getting my first strict pull-up. That is something I had never previously done in my life. During the second pull-up program I participated in at Beachside, I was kind of messing around in between sets and wanted to see if I could even budge myself unassisted. I got my chin closer to the bar than I ever thought possible! So then every day during the program I would try for one strict unassisted pull-up until finally I got my chin all the way over the bar on my own. I was so happy, and Nate Jr. started clapping for me since he was the only one that witnessed it. Then everyone wanted to watch me do it again. Not only was I stoked and smiling from ear to ear, but my friends and coaches were as well. That was a great moment.
7. What are you working on now?
What am I not working on now.. if I had to narrow it down, I would say getting better at double unders is a big one on my radar.. being able to do multiple strict pull-ups, and I am really enjoying the Saturday morning Olympic Weightlifting classes.
8. What’s your favorite “Beachside Crossfit memory?”
There are too many to pick one! Both of the Beatdown comps, especially this past one partnering with my buddy June. Whitewater rafting with the whole crew was one of the coolest experiences. Cheering everyone on in the Open. And paint balling! That was another first for me and I couldn’t be happier who I got to experience it with. I look forward to making more lasting memories with the Beachside fam 🙂
Athlete of the month: May
Brad has been with BSCF since 2011! During Tax Season time he usually disappears. As a CFP (Certified Financial Planner) and EA (Enrolled Agent) Tax Season has him working 10-12 hours a day for 6 days a week. However! This year he made it a priority to not give up his fitness and made Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 5:30am (even with a infant at home) for the duration of tax season- something to be noticed and applauded!
2.What do you do for a job? I’m a financial advisor and income tax consultant (enrolled agent)
3. Tell us something people might not know about you: I’m originally from the south east, Texas and Mississippi – I’ve lived in CA for almost 13 years now
4. What brought you to CrossFit in the first place? I tried doing Crossfit on my own at first in 2010 following the main Crossfit website’s daily WODs, but I struggled to stay consistent. Once I found Nathan and Beachside (3/2011) I was hooked. I liked the community and working out in a class environment with good buddies. I’ve met lifelong friends doing Crossfit at Beachside
5. What was your first impression? How has that changed? My first impression was that it was really really hard, and that impression hasn’t changed, which is one of the main reasons I’ve stuck with it for so many years. I like the challenge and having something to constantly strive for.
6. What was your first “bright spot”? There are a lot, and I don’t know about the first, but getting my first bar muscle up during the open a couple of years ago was a pretty awesome one for me
7. What are you working on now? I would really like to crack the 225 mark on my snatch, but I have a long way to go!
8. What’s your favorite “Beachside Crossfit memory?” We’ve made a lot of great memories at Beachside, but the ugly Sweater Christmas party at the Koch’s has to be one of the best
Athlete of the month: April
We met Tyree during the First week of CrossFit Kids classes. In Sumer of 2017. He was eager to try something new and had a blast with kids of all ages. When we began the teen class in the fall, Tyree was ready for new challenges. He always has a smile of his face, and he enjoys competing against everyone in his class for the fastest time! Look out for this teenager, his dedication and encouraging attitude sets the example for his fellow CrossFit Teens. -Coach Cindy
Birthday – August 4, 2004
Attends – Sacred Heart School , I’m in 7th Grade, my strong subjects is Math/Vocabulary
Hometown – Ventura CA
Athletic Background– Soccer (Club) started playing at age 3. I have speed. All though I’m probably the smallest kid in my soccer team I’m one of the fastest kid
My favorite food – Bean and cheese burritos.
If I had a superpower, teleportation would be my choice.
I am really good at making friends, I love to make people laugh. Big time jokester!!!
When I grow up I would like to become a pro soccer player
My favorite Crossfit movement -pull-ups and rope climbs
My goal in Crossfit is to do my best in continual performing wods and focus to improve my techniques.
What keeps my coming back is my coaches, my crossfit teen friends and constantly learning and improving. I love the challenges.
My favorite Crossfit memory is being able to do pull-ups without a band.
If someone would approach me about Crossfit I would tell them not to be afraid, coaches are great they are with you every step of the way!
Keep it up T!